Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

I'm Still Alive, I Swear

Well, I am apparently ill-suited to regular updates in the summer. I suspect it's the lack of structure in my schedule; I feel like I have more time than I really do, so I keep putting things off. This is clearly something I need to work on.

Basically, this is post is just an update on my personal life combined with a promise of actual posts to come. I promise! I'll write something! Maybe even this week!

All in all, this summer has been completely awesome. It's also been busier than any summer except, perhaps, for the one prior to my senior year of high school. This summer, I have done the following:
  • Attained a job! (It's just making sandwiches, but hey, it pays a few cents above minimum wage.)
  • Passed Principles of Biology and the associated lab! (I know, it's a basic freshman-level course...)
  • Started volunteering at a local crisis hotline! (It's super fulfilling, and the other volunteers there are awesome.)
  • Managed to fall down the four steps to the laundry room, land on my keys, and wind up with a stigmata look-alike in my right hand, which resulted in fainting twice, going into shock, interrupting the beginning of a Freethinkers meeting so some friends could take me to the hospital, three stitches, and a lot of irritation about my inability to use my dominant hand. It's all better now, though; just a lovely scar on my palm.
Epic Stigmata Scar
  • Gone to Vancouver to visit my boyfriend!
  • Gone to a lot of Freethinkers unofficial summer meetings, and social gatherings, and out to Giles County for the whole school board thing. It's been an awesome summer for freethinking in Blacksburg, I have to say!
  • Made a lot of awesome new friends, including Rose St Clair, who forces me to go dancing in the middle of the night and whose blog, She For Inquiry, you should totally check out. She's a lot better at updating than I am so far.
Clearly, this doesn't excuse me from updating here, but... I haven't just been lying on my bed in a depressed stupor -- which happened last summer after I quit my (completely untenable) job -- so I feel like I'm doing alright! Hopefully, in the next few weeks, I'll make it to the SSA Conference in Columbus, finally get the Summer Session Ask an Atheist Table approved and scheduled (we've been trying to get this off the ground for most of the summer...), and update this blog at least semi-regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment